Thursday, April 28, 2011

Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls

I love bread....especially warm dinner rolls. Honestly, one of my favorite parts about going to the Cheesecake Factory or Piccola Bussola is sitting down and eating those wonderful, freshly out of the oven dinner rolls. They're just so tasty! So, after having dreamt of dinner rolls for quite some time, I decided to make some. My timing couldn't have been better because it just so happened to be the day before my mom's birthday when I made them and she absolutely LOVES bread. So, I whipped up a batch of whole wheat dinner rolls and may I say, they were delicious.


The recipe I used was from Food Network. I used Tanya Holland's recipe. Since the original recipe yields 24-30 rolls, I cut the recipe in half and substituted half the all purpose flour for whole wheat flour. Here's the recipe:

Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls (adapted from Tanya Holland)

makes 12-18 rolls
ingredients:

1/2 package dry active yeast
1/2 cup warm water (about 110 degrees F)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 egg, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk, scalded but cooled to warm
2 ounces butter, melted, plus 1 ounce
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour, plus more, as needed (i used king Arthur flour)

___________________________________________________
Directions:
In a standing mixing bowl with dough hook, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let sit until lightly foamy, then stir in sugar and add egg, salt, warm milk, and 2 ounces of butter. Slowly add 2 1/2 cups flour, adding more as needed to make an elastic dough. Mix well, then roll out to floured surface and knead dough for about 5 minutes. Place dough in buttered bowl, cover with towel, and set in a warm place to rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch down dough and form dough into 1-inch balls. Place the balls onto a greased baking sheet, and allow to rise an additional 1/2 hour. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Brush the risen dough balls with remaining melted butter. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

letting the yeast foam

yeast, water, egg, salt, milk, butter

this is what your dough should look like after 5 minutes

getting ready for the first rise

This is the best I can do when it comes to having a "kitchen towel"

getting ready for the second rise



I have to say, these dinner rolls were a success. My mom absolutely loved them. They were crispy on the outside but oh-so fluffy on the inside. I highly recommend you serving these the day they were made. My mom placed them in a container and they go slightly soft on the outside. They still tasted great, but I think that I will definitely serve them the day I make them next time. Well, there's nothing left to say but enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment